Friday, April 29, 2011

Training update - 4.29.11

Last night's workout - deadlifts, bench press, triceps, 30 min cardio

I had a decent workout last night. The weather was nice for the first time in about a week so the gym was nearly empty as a result, a total bonus. I started with bench press and did a few warm-up sets. I put on 160 for my working sets and knocked the first two out without a problem. The last set I kind of got stuck on the last rep, but I made it through with what my wife called "a fingernail spot."

My shoulder felt a little tweaked after I finished all my sets but so far this morning it's feeling OK. I've been worried that going back to barbell bench press would tweak my shoulder again. I've previously blamed the barbell bench as the culprit behind the shoulder problems I had a year ago. I'm trying to focus on good form and pressing up from my lower chest, so my arms aren't 90 degrees out from my chest. We'll see how it goes over the next few weeks. I may have to bail and go back to dumbbells.

I followed bench with deadlifts. After a few warmup sets with 135 I put on 195, which is the highest I've tried so far. It felt heavy, but my first two sets went pretty well. My last set was tough and I had to take a breath or three between the last three reps. Overall it went OK. I felt a little humbled by the weight but later reminded myself that the 195 pounds was the most I've ever done on deadlift, so it's an overall victory. I think I'll stick to this weight another round or two because I felt my form was sloppy. I'm fairly new to standard deadlifts so I want to try to iron out the kinks before I go too stupidly heavy.

squat - 195 lbs
deadlift - 195 lbs
bench - 160 lbs
press - 85 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment