Friday, May 6, 2011

Training update - 5.06.11

last night's workout - deadlift, military press, shoulders

Last night I was pretty pumped and ready to get to the gym to hit deadlifts. I was increasing weight and trying 205 lbs for the first time ever. After doing quite a few warmup sets to get ready, I loaded up 205 and gave it a go. Being fairly new to deadlifts, my form is not quite there yet. My first rep or two were probably pretty sloppy on form and I managed to skin my left shin pretty well. I started bleeding right away, more of an annoyance than anything. Liz suggested that I try to keep my knees closer together so my grip wouldn't have to be so wide to clear my knees. I tried this on successive sets and it seemed to work fairly well. I don't feel like I have very much flexibility in my hips and I figure being flat footed doesn't help me either. In any case, I felt really strong with my three working sets and finished with no struggle. I know I could have easily gone 10-20 pounds heavier, but no reason to overdo it and hurt myself.

Next I did military press. I'm still fairly new to this movement as well, and it doesn't feel natural yet. I did a few warmups with the bar to get my shoulders loose. The first set went fine and then on the second set I nearly dumped the weight back over my head as I pushed it to the top. It was just a lack of concentration for the most part. I still struggled with the 85 pounds so I'll have to take this one slow as I increase the weight. I followed up with some shrugs on the Smith machine and then some lateral raises with some dumbbells.

This morning I measured my waist with our measuring tape and it read an even 38". That's another 1/4" inch lost from where I was at last check. If I can lose about 1/4" every week or two and keep that going, I'll be where I want to be in no time. I'd like to see my waist at 36" or less, ideally. My weight has still been holding steady around 209 lbs. We are 33 days out from our lake trip, so if I can stay consistent and keep lifting hard I think I should be in pretty good shape by the time it gets here.

squat - 205 lbs
deadlift -
205 lbs
bench - 170 lbs
press - 85 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment